Here are some organizations and websites that provide information about social and emotional learning.  NAPAC does not endorse any of the following services. They are provided for your information only. Please let us know if you have additional resources to add to our lists.

See also the Social & Emotional Learning page on the North Andover Public Schools website: SEL

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

available 24/7, talk or chat online

National Alliance of Mental Illness-aka NAMI

Crisis lines, prevention and planning, support group information and many resources.


Think Kids-

Collaborative Problem Solving Method. Out Massachusetts General Hospital. Training and support groups for parents.

Used in the book The Explosive Child, By Ross Greene.

A Special Mother: Getting Through the Early Days of a Child’s Diagnosis of Learning Disabilities and Related Disorders, by Anne Ford

Filled with essential advice and the voices of other mothers whose children have LD and related disorders such as Asperger’s and ADHD, A Special Mother lets parents know they are not alone and that they can help their child to thrive.

Shut Up About Your Perfect Kid: A Survival Guide for Ordinary Parents of Special Childrenby Gina Gallagher and Patrica Konjoian

  • Also a Facebook Community of the same name
  • On a “perfection-preoccupied planet,” sisters Gina and Patty dare to speak up about the frustrations, sadness, and stigmas they face as parents of children with disabilities (one with Asperger’s syndrome, the other with bipolar disorder).
    This refreshingly frank book, which will alternately make you want to tear your hair out and laugh your head off, should be required reading for parents of disabled children.


Some Services Available to those with mental health concerns


For health insurance and the Child Behavioral Health Initiative (aka CBHI). You may qualify for MassHealth regardless of income due to disability (the disability supplement). AD/HD is a qualifying disability for a child. You may also qualify to have your primary health insurance premiums paid through Premium Assistance.

Department of Mental Health(DMH)-

Provides services to adults and children. Must apply and have a qualifying condition as listed on their website/application. Provides services such as in-home therapy, mentors, camps, residential schools and more as needed and determined.

Massachusetts Rehabilition Commission-aka MRC- MRC.

The Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) helps individuals with disabilities to live and work independently. MRC is responsible for Vocational Rehabilitation, Community Living and eligibility determination for the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) federal benefits programs. For older teens and adults only.

Massachusetts Child Psychiatry Access Program– MCPAP

Waits to see a child psychiatrist can be extremely long, especially if your child is in crisis. Your pediatrician should be able to help. ASK about this program. The goal of MCPAP is to improve access to treatment for children with behavioral health needs and their families by making child psychiatry services accessible to primary care providers across Massachusetts. MCPAP provides quick access to psychiatric consultation and facilitates referrals for accessing ongoing behavioral healthcare.